Monday, June 18, 2012

New Guitar Stuff

Its been a while, and I kinda took a break from building for a while to try to get my butt back in the gym.. Now Im back at it, and this is what I have done so far.. After I glued the top on the body, I routed the cavity for the electronics, and a slot for the backplate to drop in to.. I haven't made the backplate yet, though.. This was really quick because I made it a semi-hollow, so the body is solid through the center but I routed out big cavities on both sides of where the strings would be for a lighter, more open sounding guitar.. I measured the width of the neck at the 15th and 22nd fret, because I'm making the 15th the first fret to meet the body.. It's a single cutaway, so I have to have quite a bit of neck sitting inside.. Anyway, I transferred those numbers onto the body, put my straight edges down and routed the neck pocket.. This is always scary, because if you mess up here, the centerline can be way off.. I put the neck in the body, then took a straight edge and drew lines across the body along the path of the sides of the fretboard to check my centerline.. It wasnt perfect, but it was only about 25 thousandths of an inch off toward the bass side.. I found the new center of my guitar, and drew it on the top.. Its not exactly where the two sides of the top meet, but youd never be able to tell without staring at it.. With my new centerline, I marked out, and routed the pickup cavities, and thats what it looks like without the neck in body.. Finally, today I drilled all the holes for the bridge, and glued the neck in.. Hopefully I can get some more pictures soon, because I'm planning on working on it a little more regularly.. Until then, see ya later!

No comments:

Post a Comment